Thursday, April 17, 2014

OMG: Usher ft. Will.I.Am


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RnPB76mjxI&feature=kp

In Usher's song OMG featuring Will.I.Am, the use of women in order to sexualize the video is prevalent. Granted the song is about a man who falls in love with a woman on the dance floor because of the sexy way she is dancing, but also the outfits are sexualized for the mans eye, as the women are wearing a sparkly bra and panties, black stiletto boots, and a mens dress coat. Usher and Will.I.Am's dances are quite different than the female backup dancers. One particular thing I found interesting in both Usher and Beyonce's video's are that the comments don't mention anything about the sexualization. However, when I was searching for the over-sexualization of men and women as backup dancers, I did not find much. This tells us that the sexualization of them is a common occurrence in today's society. Only when I search Beyoncé in particular did I find people being disgusted at how sexual her performances are. This explains that the use of backup dancers are simply a prop and it does not matter if they are sexualized.


No comments:

Post a Comment